District of Umkirch
The district of Dachswangen finally became a part of Umkirch in 1924. Previously, the estate had belonged to the state of Baden as it was owned by Stephanie of Baden. Baron Friedrich of Kageneck had bought the Dachswangen castle estate from the governors of Alten Sumerau and Prassberg in 1766. In around the 15th century, when the Dachswangen estate belonged to one of the Falkenstein lines, the barony of Dachswangen was formed, and Waltershofen was a part of it. Back then, there were about eight buildings, one of which was the mill. The mill was based on a previous 12th-century version belonging to the de Tahswanc family, originally retainers of the Zähringers. Back then, the building was a moated castle built on wooden piles. But more recent investigations suggest that the building had a predecessor, possibly a ‘fortified house’ known as a ‘motte’. There are still some remains of the moated castle in evidence. This means the mill is a converted moated castle, where a castle is defined in the traditional sense as a fortified house.
See also: Die Mooswälder, pub. Helge Körner, p. 560. Also, Thomas Zotz, Alfons Zettler: Landesgeschichte ‘Burgenbuch’.
The Blaues Haus has been used as a silk factory, a cigarette factory and a school. (Learn more)
Umkirch’s Roman history is a long way from being told in full. (Learn more)
The museum in the palace mill showcases local history and relevant social issues. (Learn more)
The Kalkofen (lime kiln) area got its name from the site where one or more lime furnaces once stood. (Learn more)
The building erected by the local rulers served as a guest house, an assembly hall and a lower court room. (Learn more)
The revenue office to manage the Kageneck estate was built in the late 18th century. (Learn more)
The name of the castle comes from the castle of the same name near Basel. (Learn more)
The church in Umkirch is among the oldest in Breisgau. (Learn more)
The mill is a former moated castle. (Learn more)