The outer bailey was built during the 15th Century. It demonstrates how the medieval method of building fortifications was adapted to meet the challenges of military combat with the new firearms.
Although only the lower part of the stone wall still exists, traces of the battlement are still visible. According to the engraving from 1643 the upper part of the battlement was crenellated. The cut stones at the gate are of red sandstone, which is typical for the Black Forest. The stones filling the wall are shell limestone, which is typical for the area east of Nagold.
The firing slits in the tower next to the entrance to the tournament garden were used for shooting with the new small arms.
The outer bailey is also called the tournament garden. Tournaments were a luxury, which probably couldn’t be financed very often. Due to the large number of trees today, it is hard to imagine where jousting could have taken place. After the destruction of the castle in 1645, the people of Nagold were allowed to use the tournament garden as a stone quarry, as well as for small gardens and as a meadow. Somewhere in an unknown place there was a draw-well. The present garden of exotic trees was planted between 1863 and 1880.
Pinnacles are usually rectangular parts of masonry on top of walls, towers and buildings. The firing slits between them are called crenelle. Pinnacles were used as shields when defending the fortification. During the High and Late Middle Ages they were an important part of the fortification but during the Renaissance they degenerated to decoration.
Firing slits were already used in the antique. There are different types of firing slits, from narrow slits – sometimes formed like keyholes – to the baroque „mouthslits“, which have a relief like a mask. Firing slits in the form of a keyhole were developed during the 15th Century and were well suited for shooting with the new small arms. The slits were very hard to hit from outside the wall. Inside the tower the marksman had lots of room to maneuver.
The outer bailey is also called tournament garden and dates back to the 15th century. (Learn more)
The moat with its steep sides separates the outer bailey from the main castle. (Learn more)
The basic form of the medieval main castle is a triangle. (Learn more)
The watch-tower was the last refuge and defence post. (Learn more)
The tower dwelling type of residence was situated on the eastern side of the castle. (Learn more)
The hay house was evidently located on the eastern side of the castle. (Learn more)
Traces and remains of the house with a gable, tower dwelling and stairway. (Learn more)
Collections of stone balls are on the small bastion. (Learn more)
The foundation of a predecessor tower and part of the shield wall are the oldest remaining parts of the castle. (Learn more)
The harp creates gentle sounds when the wind is strong enough. (Learn more)
Its position was probably between the northwestern tower and the watchtower. (Learn more)
The well tower protrudes like a bastion from the eastern castle wall. (Learn more)
The lower enclosure wall was built in the style of medieval fortifications. (Learn more)