Baden-Wurttemberg | 19.498 inhabitants
Schopfheim is the oldest town in the Markgräflerland region. Well-connected via the B317 highway and the S6 Schopfheim-Basel commuter train connection, the town is a great year-round jumping-off point for hikes in the Black Forest, excursions throughout the Markgräflerland region, and tours to Basel or the neighbouring region of Alsace.
The town centre and the Enkenstein, Langenau, and Fahrnau districts are located in a valley. The Wiechs, Eichen, Kürnberg and Raitbach districts are situated on the surrounding hills, while Gersbach lies 16 km away, between Schopfheim and Todtmoos. The high-altitude location makes winter sports possible.
Length: about 2 km
Duration: about 1 hour
The walking tour starts on the Marktplatz, the town’s market square. The weekly market takes place here each Wednesday and Saturday afternoon, featuring a large selection of locally self-grown products, including cheese, dairy products, meat, sausages, trout (Wednesdays only), bread, pastries, organic and non-organic fruits and vegetables, juices, liquor, noodles, vinegar, oil, honey, eggs, jams, and flowers.
A flea market takes place in the Old Town on the last Saturday of May, July, and September. Organ music can be enjoyed at the old Church of St. Michael during market times in the summer months.
Lying beyond the walking tour route are the Otto Erich Döbele Museum, the technical museum with its extensive collection of linotype printing presses, the Dorfmuseum Eichen village museum, the Bärenstube (teddy bear collection) in Gersbach, and the Waldglaszentrum (forest glass centre).
SOMMERSOUND Open Air 2019 - Roland Kaiser
Roland Kaiser mit seiner spielfreudigen 14-köpfigen Live-Band
Beginn: 20:00 Uhr
SOMMERSOUND Open Air 2019 - Wincent Weiss
"Irgendwie Anders Sommertour 2019"
Beginn: 20:00 Uhr
SOMMERSOUND Open Air 2019 - Ben Zucker
"Sommer 2019" Tour - live mit Band
Beginn: 19:00 Uhr
The church’s history dates back to the 7th century. (Learn more)
The “Schwarzes Schaf” café is located on the ground floor. (Learn more)
The building has served as a museum since 1986. (Learn more)
The western gate tower dates back to around 1250 AD, in the times when Schopfheim was first elevated to town status. (Learn more)
The former manorial granary was used by the private Zeichenschule Friesenegger art school from 1830 to 1875. (Learn more)
Of the town’s original fortifications, only this small portion remains. (Learn more)
The building is believed to have been the birthplace of Dr. Max Josef Metzger. (Learn more)
The present building was constructed in 1762 and served as a Latin school from 1770 to 1839. (Learn more)
This was Schopfheim’s first Town Hall. (Learn more)
The Bezirksamt (district office) formed part of the administration of the Grand Duchy of Baden. (Learn more)
This building is still in use as a kindergarten today. (Learn more)
The court had been based in the town since 1857. (Learn more)
The building that characterises the Marktplatz was built between 1822-26 in the Weinbrenner style. (Learn more)
The “Neue Krone” restaurant currently occupies the building. (Learn more)
The building at Hauptstraße 43 was rebuilt in 1908. (Learn more)
The mansion was built between 1856-1865 by the manufacturer Carl Wilhelm Grether. (Learn more)
Open-air cinema takes place here in the summer. (Learn more)
The newspaper was founded in 1864 by Johann Georg Uehlin. (Learn more)